Foster, William F. The Bertha and William F. Foster Mansion at the Corner of Riverside Drive and West 102nd Street, Northeast Corner. Albumen photograph, image: 15.4 cm x 20.8 cm.; mount: 17.7 cm x 25.7 cm. Annotations on the back.
This photograph looks west to the Hudson River and shows the the Foster Mansion nearing completion, where it stood on Riverside Drive from 1887 – 1922. The architect was Halstead Parker Fowler (1859 – 1911). William Foster emigrated to the United States in 1856 from England. He invented the Foster Glove Fastening, which he marketed in New York in 1876, having been ruined in Chicago by the Great Fire of 1871. Foster died in his New York home on December 3, 1895. This address is now 300 Riverside Drive. Fine.