Columbia College, N. Y. Negative by E. L. Walker. Photographic and Fine Art Journal Print. An albumen print, mounted on a sheet measuring 27.5 cm x 35 cm, a trimmed oval image measuring 17 cm x 22 cm. This photograph is from a negative used to make volume prints which served as tipped-in illustrations in the June 1857 issue of The Photographic and Fine Art Journal, Vol. 10, page 160, H. H. Snelling, editor. In the description of this illustration on page 185, it is stated that this building was first occupied in 1760 and underwent repairs in 1820, which did not materially alter its original appearance. At the time this photograph was taken in 1857, the building was slated to be torn down. A pencil annotation on the back indicates the location of this building as being between Church and Chapel Streets. Charles Lockwood in Manhattan Moves Uptown, an Illustrated History, says “The Park Place district was fortunate in having Columbia College as a neighbor; it occupied a two-block square campus, bounded by Barclay Street, Church Street, Murray Street, and College Place (now called West Broadway). Park Place stopped at the Church Street boundary of the campus and resumed its course a block to the west at College Place under its original name, Robinson Street.” Page 42. There is an ink annotation signed by W. B. Welling and dated 1974 about the history of the photograph and its appearance in print. There is also a pencil annotation “346”. There is slight soiling to the mount, but the image is fine.