President Ulysses S. Grant. Sneider, Robert. Memorial Badge with Rosette and Effigy of President Ulysses S. Grant. New York: Robert Sneider, 37 John Street,  and a manuscript, a Record of Service of L. Curtis Brackett, Bvt. Major, U. S. A. Compiled by His Wife 19 pages, 10 legal-size sheets, prepared by his wife, Charlotte Morell Speed Brackett. Also sold with a photograph of Maj. Brackett, his wife and daughter, Anna Speed Brackett, taken at Luna Park, Coney Island, New York during the summer of 1910. The family members are identified on the verso of this souvenir postcard photograph. Also included is a letter from the Secretary of the “Grant Monument Association, Mills Building, No. 15 Broad Street, New York” dated February 25, 1897, typed and signed by James C. Reed, Secretary, addressed to Major Brackett, regarding “… some of your business engagements would not allow you to render much service at this time; but he hoped to have your help in the affair before the event: April 27th.” James C. Reed, Secretary of the Grant Monument Association, died from overwork related to the preparations for the inauguration of Grant’s tomb. His obituary stated “He was a great friend of President Arthur and served as private secretary during part of Mr. Arthur’s administration. He was appointed Shipping Commissioner of this port by President Harrison, and served until Mr. Cleveland appointed his successor. At a meeting of the Grant Monument Association, Wednesday, resolutions commending the services of Mr. Reed were passed …”. (New York Herald, April 24, 1897).
It is noteworthy that Bvt. Maj. L. Curtis Brackett was brevetted twice by President Lincoln. The first time was as Bvt. Captain on July 6, 1864, and the second time occurred on April 2, 1865, as Bvt. Major, just twelve days before President Lincoln was assassinated. Both citations are quoted in full, as well as other numerous citations and recommendations for this distinguished officer and Aide-de-Camp to Major General Orlando B. Willcox.
Following years of fund-raising and argument about the location of President Grant’s final resting place, New York City was chosen because his express wish was to be buried next to his wife, Julia Dent Grant, and as West Point did not yet allow women to be buried there. As Mrs. Grant lived nearby, she chose New York and a scenic promontory on Riverside Drive at 122nd Street for her and her husband’s mausoleum. On April 27, 1897, the seventy-fifth anniversary of President Grant’s birth, the dedication of the General Grant National Memorial took place, with Bvt. Major Levi Curtis Bracket, as Aide-de-Camp to General Grenville M. Dodge, Grand Marshall of the Inauguration of the Grant Monument, wearing this Memorial Badge, a white effigy of President Grant mounted on a circular wreath of black tulle, attached to a paper back with the original pin still attached. The tulle measures 8 cm x 5.5 cm, and the white effigy of President Grant 3.5 cm x 2 cm. The condition of these three very rare surviving piece of ephemera is fine, with only a corner missing from the postcard, not affecting the image.