Manhattan Club. Founded 1865. Press of Baptist & Taylor, (Douglas Taylor), Sun Buildings, cor. Nassau and Fulton Streets, N. Y. : . First edition of the Manhattan Club’s first membership directory. [1 blank; 60 pages; 2 blanks] 15 cm x 9.7 cm. Bound in brown cloth on paper boards, gilt page edges all around. The Letters “M” and “C” superimposed in gilt in the center of the front cover. Fine.
Printed in red and black ink, the officers for 1866 – 67 were: Augustus Schell, President; Anthony L. Robertson, Vice-President; William Butler Duncan, Treasurer; Manton Marble, Secretary; George W. McLean, Henry Hilton and Hiram Cranston, Of the House Committee.
The Managing Committee was comprised of: William F. Allen, S. L. M. Barlow, August Belmont, James T. Brady, Horace F. Clark, Edward Cooper, Edward L. Corlies, Hiram Cranston, George Ticknor Curtis, William Butler Duncan, Andrew H. Green, Henry Hilton, John T. Hoffman, Manton Marble, George W. McLean, Charles O’Conor, Edwards Pierrepont, William C. Prime, Anthony L. Robertson, Augustus Schell, Horatio Seymour, Douglas Taylor, Samuel J. Tilden, Gulian C. Verplanck and Sidney Webster.
The Constitution of the Manhattan Club stated as its object: “Its object shall be to advance Democratic principles, promote social intercourse among its members, and provide them the conveniences of a Club House.” With a limited membership of one thousand members, members had to be twenty-one years of age and be proposed for membership by two members. Two black balls were sufficient to exclude any candidate and the votes, conversation and debates on the subject of admissions, exclusions and expulsions were held by the Managing Committee “in honorable secresy.”[sic] The admission fee was $150, and the annual fee $50. Members could “introduce persons ot members, residing more than thirty miles from the City Hall, to all parts of the Club House…”. The President of the United States, members of his Cabinet, Governors of States or Territories, members of Learned Societies, and Diplomatic Agents accredited to the Government of the United States, could br admitted to the Club House on request of any member, for a period of not more than three months, by a vote of the Managing Committee.
Published in the Manhattan Club Directory were the Constitution, By-Laws, and Rules of the Club House, a List of Members, and on page sixty the Organization of the Club with a list of officers for 1865 – 1866. The Manhattan Club occupied the Charles Maverick Parker mansion at 96 Fifth Avenue, the South-West corner of Fifth Avenue and West 15th Street from 1865 – 1890.
Among the Manhattan Club’s first members in 1865 – 1866 were: Cornelius Vanderbilt, James A. Bayard, August Belmont, James Buchanan, Edwin Chapin, George Ticknor Curtis, Lorenzo Delmonico, Millard Fillmore, James Gallatin, Andrew Johnson, George W. Knowlton, Cyrus H. McCormick, Manton Marble, William B. Ogden, James L. Mitchell, James Mott, Charles O’Conor, William B. Ogden, Edwards Pierrepont, George W. Quintard, Ezekiel Salomon, Henry W. Slocum, Lorillard Spencer, Edwin W. Stoughton, George Tiffany, Henry Tiffany, Samuel J. Tilden, William Turnbull, John Van Buren, Samuel Ward, Gulian C. Verplanck, Benjamin F. Voorhies, Augustus H. Ward, among many other distinguished members. Another copy is believed to be held at the New York Historical Society.