Iver Jensen Borger, Magnetic Compass, circa 1790. Hand-lettered paper compass rose in green, black, rose and yellow labeled by Iver Jensen Borger, Kobenhaven (most likely produced in Amaliegade). Housed in its original hand-carved wooden case 8.5 cm in diameter x 4 cm deep, which is lined with white, bearing a marker for due North. Someone added English directions and degrees in English at a later date. Original wooden cover and glass missing. Glass has been replaced by a piece of fitting glass that does not interfere with the free-floating compass rose. The original wooden case is cracked in two places, but the cracks do not interfere with the function of the compass. There is a paper label on the bottom of the case that reads: “Brought by William Clark from Copenhagen in 1823.” Iver Jensen Borger started his maritime supply business November 24, 1755 in Copenhagen, where he sold flags, sails and compasses. When Borger died in 1799, his son-in-law, Johan Philip Weilbach, took over the business, which survives today as Iver C. Weilbach & Co. A/S, headquartered at Roldbodgade 35 in Copenhagen.