Bible du Port-Royal. [Lemaistre de Sacy, Isaac, auteur de commentaire], Explication des Proverbes de Salomon Latin-François, Tirée des Saints Pères & des auteurs ecclesiastiques. Novvelle edition. Suivant la copie Imprimée à Paris. A Bruxelles: Chez Eugène Henri Fricx, Imprimeur de Sa Majesté vis-à-vis l’Eglise de la Madelene, 1698. 16 cm. In-12, [xxxv ; 642 ; 14] Latin (Vulgate) text and French translation in double columned text, with the commentary of Isaac Lemaistre de Sacy. “Marque à la Foi” is on the title-page. Bound in contemporary red morocco with five raised bands, cover corners and centers decorated with gold, gilt page edges all-around. Book plates of Robert Woods Bliss, Dumbarton Oaks, Mildred Bliss, Dumbarton Oaks, and John Macleod of Muiravonside, Esq. Advocate, on the verso of the title-page.
John Macleod purchased the estate of Muiravonside in 1724 in East Stirlingshire, and, on April 10, 1731, he registered Arms (on his book plate) in the Lyon Court in Edinburgh as “fourth but only surviving son” of his father, John Macleod. John Macleod of Muiravoside was a Jacobite and is best remembered for his part, with other Macleods, in the abduction of Lady Grange.
Louis-Isaac Lemaistre de Sacy is best remembered for his translation of the Bible, also known as the Bible de Port-Royal. Under the patronage of the Arnauld family, Port-Royal flourished as a center of education in the seventeenth century, until the abbey was abolished in 1708. A center of Jansenist rationality, it fell to the Jesuit predominance and closer proximity to Louis XIV. OCLC lists one copy, held at the French National Library in Paris. Another copy is found in the Yale University Divinity Library.