Fifth Avenue Shopping District Map, circa 1920, Hotel Seville. The Fine Art of Good Service. John F. Garrety, Manager. A promotional brochure (14 cm x 9 cm) illustrated in color, with a fold-out color map (27 cm x 20 cm) of the “Fifth Avenue Shopping District,” from Twenty-Sixth Street up to Forty-Second Street. A northern extension of Manhattan’s famous “Ladies’ Mile” of the Gilded Age up Fifth Avenue, above Twenty-Third Street to Herald Square, this early twentieth century area was called the “Fifth Avenue Shopping District.”
With street numbers on Broadway and Fifth Avenue printed in red on this map; and, subway stations, stores, churches, insurance companies, banks, as well as the original Metropolitan Opera House at Broadway and Thirty-Ninth Street, all labeled, this booklet’s map is believed to be have been printed for the Hotel Seville about 1920. It is not later than 1924, when Saks & Company moved to Fifth Avenue and Forty-Ninth Street and became Saks Fifth Avenue. On the recto of the street map is a floor plan of the hotel with prices, showing the footprint of each room. The back cover has a coat of arms with the motto: Virtus Laudem Imperat. Paper covers, 12 pages. Fine, almost as new.