Bookplate for Erasmus Hall Library, New York, ca. 1780. A silversmith and an engraver, Peter Rushton Maverick (1755 -1811) emigrated to America, where he settled in New York before the American revolution, marrying in New York in 1772. Maverick’s engraving shop was located on Liberty Street (formerly No. 3, Crown Street) at Maiden Lane in lower Manhattan in 1784. It is believed to have been on Dey (formerly Batteau) Street in 1775. A fine example of copper plate engraving, this bookplate is simply signed, “Maverick, Sculpt. New York.” With the motto “Fortiter Ascende” under an image depicting two sister temples of learning with the mottoes “Famae Sacrum” and “Virtuti Sacrum” engraved on their respective facades above a rocky climb, with a goddess leading a young student up the steep incline. Below the image is a second garlanded cartouche with “Erasmus Hall Library No.” This bookplate measures 15.7 cm x 9 cm and has obviously been trimmed. The call numbers of books in which this plate was used remain on the lower cartouche. The condition is good, as the quality of paper used for printing was and remains crisp and fine. Erasmus Hall is one of the most storied educational institutions in New York history, boasting centuries of distinguished alumni.