Lost Manhattan, Astor House. Broadway Looking South from Astor House, circa 1879. Image: 15.5 cm x 10 cm; mount: 16.5 cm x 10 cm. An albumen photograph by an unknown photographer in poor condition, the mount and surface of the image are soiled. Pencil annotations on the back identify Astor House. Called New York’s first luxury hotel, Astor House opened in 1836, as a fashionable place for country dwellers to board when they were in Manhattan. It stood between Vesey and Barclay Streets. Astor House was partially demolished in 1912 and completely demolished in 1926.
Original Photograph of Columbia College Building 1760 in Lower Manhattan Prior to Demolition in 1857
An Albumen Photograph of Northern Manhattan Showing the View North of Undeveloped Land from Fort George with the Harlem River
A Photograph Memory Book of the Union Settlement House Harlem 1896 to 1906