Lovell, John Lyman, Views of Amherst and Vicinity. 1883. A signed folding album of twelve albumen prints made by John Lyman Lovell (1825-1908), class photographer for Amherst College. Lovell’s “Amherst Picture Gallery” was the first of its kind in Hampshire County. Two tipped-in hand-written sheets identifying the scenes, recorded here exactly as written:
- “Massachusetts Agricultural buildings.
- Looking down Amity street, from head of Phenix Row
- Looking down Pleasant street from near post office.
- Phenix Row from post office
- First Congregational church, (Mine)
- Episcopal church
- College church at left, East College rear of church, Gymnasium, Chapel tower with clock, Walker Hall in center, Williston Hall with Pyramidal tower, Observatory, Library at extreme right, back ground.
- North College, College chapel, South College, Part of Appleton cabinet.
- View from Chapel tower north, Baptist church with white tower, Common, Episcopal church in center, First Congl church extreme right, near view.
- View from Chapel tower toward depot village, Walker Hall in foreground, Roof and back side of 1st Nat. Bk building 1 7/8 in from left end of card and same distance from upper edge of card, just back of white dwelling house, Pelham hills in distance.
- Common from lower end of Phenix Row, Tower of College library in center, Dome on College Hall, Baptist church near right margin.
- Amherst House in center, Post office in next block with marble trimmings. Amity street school extreme right.”
Photographs in fine condition, folding cloth binder with worn hinges, knocked corner.